Friday 16 March 2012

Upleatham Daze

      As I had a busy morning I hoped a local walk would help blow away the cobwebs.  To the North of Upleatham is a plateau of farmland surrounded by pine woods, a popular place for dog walkers, mountain bikers and horse riders.  I like it too and go there regularly.  Today was warm but very hazy, the daffodils and gauze were in bloom and the wildlife active.  I like being up here, music player on, just exercising and enjoying the views.
     As I had mentioned Soapwell Quarry in a previous post I thought I'd better go take some photos.  The rock here is very sandy, soft and loose so not the ideal place for clambering.  The photo is the only part of the quarry where I have done any climbing, a few years ago we had a few hours soloing and bouldering for which I recorded some route descriptions and grades (currently lost).  The obvious sharp arete to the left is the best line here and the only thing I chose to climb today, the rock seemingly a bit (not much) more solid than the rest.  Everything here feels serious and I certainly do not recommend anyone to climb here!
     There is a wind farm currently proposed for the top of the plateau.  More on this area and my thoughts on the wind farm can be found on a separate page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment